Was $118, marked down to $89, now 30% off!
This vintage tribal Nagaland necklace features a bronze pendant with two heads or faces; hence, it is called a "double head hunter," as it represents the heads taken by the head hunter. The Naga people are actually quite varied. There are two million belonging to over tribes, inhabiting northeastern India, Myanmar, although they at one time were in Southern India and Sri Lanka. From a website about the history of headhunter jewelry: "Throughout the 19th and into the early 20th centuries, the Naga gained notoriety for being active "Headhunters." Headhunting was a cultural practice among Naga men to gain respect, power and honor as well as local fame. Headhunting carried several meanings among the Naga. It was viewed as an achievement that determines the status of a man in their society. For the Naga, a man must have taken at least one enemy’s head in his lifetime. The man who has more enemies’ heads taken has a higher status in the society and is well honored. It was also believed that bringing enemy heads back to the village was a sign of good luck for a bountiful harvest, prosperity for the community, and had a religious symbolism as well. It was believed that enemies’ heads could appease the wrath of malevolent spirits and remove any misfortune from the village. Only a successful headhunter was allowed to tattoo his face and body, and as a demonstration of his prowess and skill, he could wear a brass head on a necklace for each head that he had seized." Naga were forced by outside influences to give up the practice of headhunting, yet the cast brass totems are still considered powerful and decorative. This piece came to me from the estate of a woman who traveled extensively, The beads are a mix of carnelian, carved bone, faux coral, and glass trade beads.
The necklace measures 29" end to end. The pendant is 2-5/8" wide by 1-3/4" long to the hooks. Total weight is 173g. Looking at the twine, this piece does have age, and be aware that the weight will over time continue to pull on and possibly erode the twine.
Fascinating history of a fascinating culture.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For all tribal jewelry: https://bit.ly/2CUpcFS
For Mexican jewelry: https://bit.ly/2BYXWDb
For Native American necklaces: http://bit.ly/2ESs4Tf
And all items in shop: http://romaarellano.com
1-2 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. and any order of $100 or more will be insured via third party insurance In cases where third party insurer requires Signature, we will add it to the package.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within 14 days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
We can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment up to two months for full payment.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.
May 31, 2021
Super fast shipping. Amazing description!!