This hand-crafted single strand necklace was made in the late 1990s by Santo Domingo (Kewa) artists Chris & Ely Montoya. It was made with hand-rolled turquoise heishi beads, the blue green color carrying warm brown matrix throughout, and on the necklace the beads are separated by shell heishi spacers. At the bottom of the strand are tied two jacla loops, long with purple spiny oyster beads at the bottom of each loop. Santo Domingo Pueblo, located north of me by about 33 miles, is the leading producer of heishi, which is a Keresen word meaning "shell," although the term "heishi" now applies to the sliced flat circular beads made of any natural material, including turquoise. This form of jewelry is similar to what has been found in Anasazi excavations. Turquoise heishi beads are made by slicing stone into uniform strips, then nipping pieces into small squares. Each square has a hole drilled in it, and then the squares are strung on strings, each grouping worked to produce uniform size. The strings of squares are smoothed and rounded. They are eventually rolled into beads, which is why we use the term "hand-rolled." While hand tools may be used for drilling or grinding, Santo Domingo make their heishi beads by hand, unlike machine made fakes imported into the US and sold as authentic. Real Santo Domingo turquoise heishi beads are so smooth, so well-worked, that in the hand they feel like a rope or a serpent. It is common for Santo Domingo to tie onto the end of heishi necklaces these jacla (also sometimes called "jocla") and centuries ago, the original jacla would have been a pair of heishi earrings tied onto a heishi necklace. Later, loops of heishi specific for this purpose were tied onto the lower center of the heishi necklace. The previous owner of this necklace is a Native American jewelry collector and former dealer, whose own collection made up most of the exhibit of the Albuquerque Museum's show in late 2018-early 2019. My friend bought this necklace directly from the Montoyas, who he met over 20 years ago in Old Town Albuquerque. He tells me they would today be in their late 70s/early 80s, but when he first met them they used to sit under the portal near the restaurant in Old Town. Living in Old Town himself, he befriended them and now considers them dear friends. Of them he says: "They make their own beads, they still drill with a pump drill. They don't go out and buy beads and simply string them." This is one of two necklaces made by the Montoyas that I bought. It is perfect for wearing alone or layering.
The necklace has a squaw wrap, which means it's a continuous loop, no clasp. Measuring around, it is 29", so will hang fairly low, which again, makes it great for layering. The jacla hang another almost 5" long. Weighs 111g. There are a couple of small divots in the turquoise heishi but no completely broken pieces. In very good condition, stored in a bank security box for most of the past 20+ years.
Gorgeous turquoise and artistry.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For More Native Necklaces, Pendants, and Pins: http://bit.ly/2ESs4Tf
Native American Earrings: http://bit.ly/2FyZ8wy
Native American Rings: http://bit.ly/2HQXwyY
Native Bracelets and Watches: https://bit.ly/2NpeypL
Native Belts and Bolos: http://bit.ly/2oz2XKp
All items: https://romaarellano.com
1 business day
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 3 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• For oversized boxes (larger than 108" total) going to Alaska or Hawaii the shipping carriers charge rates similar to International postage. As a small business, we can not absorb those rates, so anything oversized to either of those states will be cancelled for a full refund.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. insure items of $100 or more. In some cases we add Signature Required. If we need to delay shipping due to travel, we will let you know.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within five days of delivery. (Note: per EU rules, the window to inform us of a desire to return an order is 14 days.) Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
Yes, we can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days (with three reminders) go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.