The authenticity certificate on these earrings show that they were purchased in 1991, and they later were appraised in 1993 for $595. They were made by Johnny Sheyka, who according to John Kennedy’s book, A Good Trade: Three Generations of Life and Trading Around the Indian Capital Gallup, New Mexico, was the "surrogate son" of Frank Turpen. Frank and brother Tobe were each owners of Gallup trading posts--now part of Gallup's famed history--working directly with some of the most talented and highly collected Native American silversmiths and artists. Sheyka was Zuni and Navajo, and according to the book, instrumental in teaching Frank Turpen's sons how to carve fetishes. These were the days when the demand for Native American jewelry was exploding faster than supply could keep up, and there were many practices then that are not even legal today, including having non-Natives make jewelry labeled as Native made. The sad thing is that we often don't know that we are buying non-Native-made jewelry, as so much lacks a hallmark or other identifying attributions. Fortunately, we have the authenticity certificate on these earrings as well as the quality craftmanship of the 22 animals--11 stacked on each--comprising these earrings. The animals are stacked just right so that each one fits almost like a puzzle over the next. We can see a bird, tortoise, badgers, wolves, frog, and others. Each animal is carved from natural turquoise that has been polished, and the eyes are black dots. It appears that the animals are in the same sequence on each earring. I can tell that one animal has a truncated tail because on one earring it is shorter than the other. The tail may have broken off while being made, as it smoothed off, indicating it did not break after it was sold. Each stack is finished off with a cone attached to a small sterling silver dot post. If you can imagine the work that went into each one of these small fetishes, created by a Native American carver masterful enough to train others, then you can understand why they appraised for quite a high price almost 30 years ago. Not to mention, one just can no longer find stacked fetish earrings, and especially none made of turquoise.
Each earring measures 3-1/4" long and the longest fetish on each is a little over 1" wide. They weigh 10g each or 20g combined. The silver pins or rods on which each is stacked are no longer exactly straight yet the earrings still hang well. In good condition with no major breaks in the fetishes.
One-of-a-kind heirloom earrings.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For More Native American Earrings: http://bit.ly/2FyZ8wy
Native American Rings: http://bit.ly/2HQXwyY
Native Bracelets and Watches: https://bit.ly/2NpeypL
Native Necklaces, Pendants, and Pins: http://bit.ly/2ESs4Tf
Native Belts and Bolos: http://bit.ly/2oz2XKp
All items: https://romaarellano.com
1 business day
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 2 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. and any order of $100 or more will be insured via third party insurance In cases where third party insurer requires Signature, we will add it to the package.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within 14 days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
We can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment up to two months for full payment.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.