The term "one of a kind" is thrown around these days, and rarely does the item being described that way fit the definition. I don't use the term often, but I'll tell you what, this necklace *is* one of a kind. It consists of seven pendants strung with benchmade Navajo Pearls. The pendants are of a style popular from the 1950s to the 1980s--the bear claw with sterling silver cap, sometimes with a stone in a bezel soldered onto the cap. Less common but also seen was the bear tooth, also capped with sterling silver and a stone on the cap.
Grizzly hunting became illegal by 1991, but in the 1950s and 1960s and before, claws and teeth were authentic. By the 1980s forward, we started to see faux claws and teeth used. In older jewelry, claws were at times formed into squash blossom necklaces with the claws in the center pendant forming a naja shape, and then claws going up the sides. This necklaces is not quite that elaborate, which I like about it. It is heavy and showy yet not overly big. What makes it a showstopper are those beautiful pendants, a tooth on the bottom and three claws up each side.
One of the more unusual features--if it were not rare enough to see claws and tooth all in one necklace--is that the stone in the center of each cap is fire agate, a natural gemstone (a form of chalcedony) discovered in the Southwest and Mexico formed in the Tertiary Period--24-36 million years ago!--when this part of the world was subjected to massive volcanic activity. The fire agates were formed during this period of volcanism when hot water, saturated with silica and iron oxide, repeatedly filled cracks and bubbles in the surrounding rock. Fire agates have beautiful iridescent rainbow colors, similar to opal, swimming within bronze colored stone. Fire agate is a rare gem, and is literally called a "phenomenal" gem, meaning it reacts to light to produce an optical effect. Fire agate is used by shamans and healers for spiritual awakening.
The center pendant--the tooth--has a sterling silver horned toad three dimensional charm attached. The horned toad has special significance among the Navajo. Called "Cheii" in Dine language, horned toads are considered the "grandpa" of the Navajo and are given prayer and blessings whenever one is seen.
This is indeed an extra special necklace, for many reasons. We believe the pendants are circa 1980s to 1990s. There is a hallmark in the sterling silver cap of the main pendant; it is a pictograph mark, and we'll continue to research it to see if we can determine the maker. The piece was recently restrung on the sterling silver Navajo Pearls, of a smaller size to not distract from the main attraction--those pendants. It is an appropriate necklace for anyone, man or woman, and especially is appropriate for the person who respects the great grizzly protector and bear medicine, and who has deep respect for Dine culture.
The necklace measures about 27" end to end. The main pendant is 1-3/8" wide by 3" long. The six claw pendants vary, as the two next to the tooth are bigger, at about 1-1/8" wide by just under 2" long, and the four others slightly smaller. Total weight is 193g. The necklace is in good condition, strung on sterling silver fox tail to help hold the weight.
One of a kind, and yes, RARE.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For More Native Necklaces, Pendants, and Pins: http://bit.ly/2ESs4Tf
Native American Earrings: http://bit.ly/2FyZ8wy
Native American Rings: http://bit.ly/2HQXwyY
Native Bracelets and Watches: https://bit.ly/2NpeypL
Native Belts and Bolos: http://bit.ly/2oz2XKp
All items: https://romaarellano.com
1 business day
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 5 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 7 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 5 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We do ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more. In some cases we add Signature Required.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within three days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
Yes, we can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. We follow the Etsy recommended approach of having you purchase an item using Other as a payment option, then invoicing you via PayPal per the payment schedule upon which we mutually agree.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days (with three reminders) go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.