When traveling to Mexico City in the 1990s, I always made it a point to stop at the big flea market and look for street artist Lucas Lorenzo. His art was striking and charming, and once in a while I would buy a piece to bring back, maybe for a gift, or as in the case with the piece here, bought for myself on one of my last trips there in that decade. I had it framed some time back, at Hobby Lobby, with a traditional ornate frame that was such contrast to the outsider style of painting that it seemed the perfect match. Framed painting is a great size, too--large enough to fill a small space yet one of those shapes that you often need for an awkward section of wall. Not that the size and shape would be what draws you most to the painting. That would be Lorenzo, himself, and his take on the birth of Jesus, baby surrounded by community. The wise men are dressed in robes with belts, and the couple to the side are Mary and Joseph, and we have a few barn animals, plus we can see the backs of the heads of what look like three girls, which of course are the angels. Lorenzo presents this miracle event from as an ordinary one, which if you consider it as a real event that happened, in that day it would have looked much like this, ordinary people becoming part of an extraordinary thing. That is exactly what makes it real and sacred for so much of the world, and especially indigenous Mexico. Lorenzo started as a street artist, and while his style never veered, he did gain notoriety over time. From his biography: "Lucas Lorenzo and his children Santiago, Jesus, Nicolas, Aureliano and Carlota live and work in the remote craft village of Xalitla, in the state of Guerrero. They come out of the same tradition as the well-known Guerrero painters on amate bark paper. Lucas, now 77 (in 2018), started out painting scenes, mostly of the landscape and village life of Guerrero, on amate paper. But 52 years ago he tried painting on the more durable material of masonite board. He also began to paint larger naive figures of saints, devils, angels, religious figures and traditional Nahuatl masked dances. He passed the technique on to his children and now a third generation, who have continued the practice, exhibiting and selling as a family. They have added new subjects out of history and popular culture, such as masked luchador wrestlers, Zapatista guerillas, calaveras for dia de los muertos, images from the loteria game and, of course, Frida Kahlo. For many years the Lorenzo family have operated a booth to sell their works in Mexico City. Recently Lucas' grandson Fernando has exhibited their work at art fairs in Austin and San Antonio, Texas, as well as the International Folk Art Market in Santa Fe, New Mexico. In 2016 the Mexican Secretaria de Cultura published a full-color book illustrated with their paintings, Familia Lorenzo." One can still by art by the Lorenzo family today, all wonderful--indeed, this is a family I encourage all to support! You can find their new pieces here on Etsy.
This vintage painting is done on chipboard (masonite) that measures 11-3/8: wide by just under 8" tall. The frame is thick and adds quite a bit of size, for a total framed width of 16-1/4" by 12-1/4" height. The back paper has some fading with age, but otherwise in good condition.
Whimsical religious art from Mexico!
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For all hacienda decor: https://romaarellano.com/shop/6877927/hacienda-taos-mexico
And all items: https://romaarellano.com
1-2 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 5 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 7 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 5 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We do ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more. In some cases we add Signature Required.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within three days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
Yes, we can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. We follow the Etsy recommended approach of having you purchase an item using Other as a payment option, then invoicing you via PayPal per the payment schedule upon which we mutually agree.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days (with three reminders) go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.