If you love art with faces, you will be smitten by this midcentury face sculpture made of green blown glass, with its narrow profile and long nose. Face artwork, whether in the form of ceramic or glass sculpture or vases, was a theme in the midcentury era with designers Bitossi and Fornasetti, among others. The small eyes and mouth with long nose reminds one of the gorgeous face sculptures of brothers Robert and Jean Cloutier. I've seen similar pieces attributed to Erik Hoglund, a designer at Kosta Boda. But this piece is by renowned Mexican glass family of los Jaramillos. From a website in which one of the sons carrying on the tradition talks about his family: "My father opened this workshop in the 1960's. He had previously worked in the first hand-blown glass factory in the area as well as an internationally known glass workshop. It was through this experience that he mastered his craft and gained the knowledge to start his own factory. When we were young we worked with our father during school vacations, helping him to create glass works and in the process learning about the intricacies of silica sand and mixing colors...Everything we do is completely handmade. Our process requires sixteen ingredients: pieces of recycled glass, silica sand, stabilizers, flux and metallic oxide colors are melted and mixed using clay pots. The mixture is melted at a temperature of between 1400°C and 1500°C (2550°F - 2730°F). After cooling to a temperature of 1200°C (2190°F), a piece is soft enough to be worked. From three pieces of glass one piece is made, as this is the easiest manner to manipulate this highly delicate material. When the scrupulous procedure of hand-blowing the glass is completed, the semi-finished piece is put in a kiln and fired at temperatures between 150°C and 800°C (300°F - 1,470°F) for twelve hours so it will dry slowly and evenly. The following day the pieces are selected for quality and their unique aspects." This piece is fairly large, and it does have the bubbles and production marks characteristic of hand blown glass. The piece has no mechanism for hanging so will need to be set on an easel, as shown in Photo 2. While I have rustic Mexican easels in my shop presently, they do not come with the piece.
The sculpture measures 11" tall by 7" wide. Weighs just under 4 pounds unpacked. Other than the production bubbles and creases, no chips nor cracks.
Fabulous rustic Modern piece.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
Midcentury decor: https://romaarellano.com/shop/17249067/from-the-midcentury
Baskets and pottery: https://romaarellano.com/shop/22631891/earthy-pottery-baskets
Hacienda decor: https://romaarellano.com/shop/6877927/hacienda-taos-mexico
All items: https://romaarellano.com
1-2 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 5 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within three days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
Yes, we can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. We follow the Etsy recommended approach of having you purchase an item using Other as a payment option, then invoicing you via PayPal per the payment schedule upon which we mutually agree.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days (with three reminders) go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
No offers, please. We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the return customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Community is EVERYTHING for a small business. Whether you are repeat customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We are grateful to YOU for allowing us to do what we love and meet your needs.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.