This heavy four-strand hair pipe bead choker is gorgeous, the tubular hair pipe beads made of bone and set in six sections, each bead in each section with an old brass bead on either end. Hair Pipes were first seen in chokers in an 1834 painted portrait of Dohasan, the first chief of the Kiowa. He wore a close-fitting four-strand choker. Those early hair pipe beads were made of shell, and in about the 1880s, as demand for hair pipe breast plates in particular was increasing, the Plains Indians began obtaining bone hair pipe beads, which were less fragile than those made of shell. The bone hair pipe beads came via a trader named Joseph H. Sherburne, who got the idea to manufacture the beads from bone based on the fact that corncob pipe stems were made of bone. It was S. A. Frost, a New York company, that first manufactured the bone hair pipe beads for Mr. Sherburne. Bone hair pipe beads are made from the lower leg bone of cattle. Bone hair pipe necklaces were worn by both men and women. The earliest bone hair pipe necklaces were simple, consisting of a few strands of vertical pipes, but after 1895 the designs became more elaborate, with a greater number of pipes and sections connected. Bone hair pipe availability dwindled in latter part of the 1920s, and Frost's large inventory of bone hair pipes was sold in the 1940s and continued to be in circulation for some decades after. This particular bone hair pipe necklace was strung circa 1960s, and while the bone hair pipe beads are authentic and likely circa 1930s to 1940s, they may have been tea-stained to look even older. There are 24 hair pipe beads in the choker, the ones closest to the center being longer than the two sections on either side of the center sections. The center pendant is a round abalone concho bead, with two more shorter hair pipe beads danging off. And there are 47 total brass beads, which are early 20th Century. The necklace is strung on leather, with extra long straps that would be tied off at the back and left to hang. Given the length of the piece, it was likely made for a man. It is likely Native made, although possibly for a shop catering to non-Natives, at the height of the fascination with Native culture, especially as it was embraced by hippies and counterculture. Today one can purchase hair pipe choker kits, although it's less common to find vintage bone hair pipe chokers.
The necklace measures a little over 34" from end to end, including the extra long leather straps. The portion that is decorative--in other words, measure from the ends where the four strands are tied off and before the leather straps start--measures 13-1/4". The four strands, measured vertically, are 1-1/4" tall. The center concho abalone bead is just over 1" in diameter. The longest hair pipe beads, of which there are eight, are just under 2" long and the shorter ones, of which there are 16, are 1-1/2" long. The two smallest hair pipe beads dangling from the concho are about 1" long. The leather shows minimal use. Some of the beads may have a rough spot along an edge but overall the necklace is in good vintage condition.
For someone who appreciates the old ways.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For Native and Native Inspired Necklaces, Pendants, and Pins: http://bit.ly/2ESs4Tf
Native American Earrings: http://bit.ly/2FyZ8wy
Native American Rings: http://bit.ly/2HQXwyY
Native Bracelets and Watches: https://bit.ly/2NpeypL
Native Belts and Bolos: http://bit.ly/2oz2XKp
All items: https://romaarellano.com
1 business day
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 3 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 7 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 5 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within three days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
Yes, we can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. We follow the Etsy recommended approach of having you purchase an item using Other as a payment option, then invoicing you via PayPal per the payment schedule upon which we mutually agree.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days (with three reminders) go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
No offers, please. We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the return customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Community is EVERYTHING for a small business. Whether you are repeat customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We are grateful to YOU for allowing us to do what we love and meet your needs.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.