This small vintage carved fetish is by Zuni Albert Eustace, who started out as a potter and became a carver at the urging of master Gibbs Otole. The piece is a Kachina Corn Maiden with a basket of corn on her head, the kernels represented by small bits of crushed turquoise stone. From a story told by Zuni Andy Abeita about this icon: "People native to both South and North America are often known as 'corn people' because their civilizations depended on the success of corn crops. So, it comes as no surprise that much corn and its harvest plays a big role in Native American Indian tradition and folklore. One figure’s importance to the success of the harvest is indicated by her representation in Native American Indian pottery and stone fetish art forms—the Corn Maiden. According to tradition, Corn Maidens were created in the palm of the right hand of the Great Spirit as guides for the people of the Earth. People were not always able to determine from among the many plants and animals on the Earth what was good for them to eat—what would nourish them vs. what would harm them. So the Corn Maidens were sent to give each clan a single seed of corn that, if properly cared for, would feed and sustain them. The people took their seeds of corn and planted them in the ground, making a small mound around them. The Corn Maidens sang a song that inspired love and faith in the people. Some people began to tend to the small mound, offering water and caressing the soil around the seed. Slowly, the corn grew, breaking through the Earth. Like a child, the plant grew strong and beautiful with the love and prayers provided by the people. As the plant grew, the people began to realize how cared for they were by the Great Spirit, and their faith grew, too. As their faith grew, mature ears of corn sprouted from the plant. With the people having the food they needed, the Corn Maidens were no longer needed, and so they returned to their spirit form." This corn maiden is quite small, like an amulet one can hold in the palm of the hand. The white stone is "fish rock," which is a form of serpentine, into which is inlaid turquoise, Mother of Pearl, black onyx, and coral. This size might be considered a "pocket fetish," the type one might take with them to give one good fortune and safe passage during travel.
Measures about 1-7/8" tall by just under 3/4" wide and just over 1/2" deep. Intricating carving visible.
For the person who seeks guidance in determining what is good for them.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For all fetish treasures in the shop: https://romaarellano.com/search?q=fetish
And all items: https://romaarellano.com
1 business day
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 3 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 7 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 5 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within three days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
Yes, we can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. We follow the Etsy recommended approach of having you purchase an item using Other as a payment option, then invoicing you via PayPal per the payment schedule upon which we mutually agree.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days (with three reminders) go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
No offers, please. We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the return customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Community is EVERYTHING for a small business. Whether you are repeat customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We are grateful to YOU for allowing us to do what we love and meet your needs.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.