“Yei” (pronounced “yay”) is a holy figure in Navajo culture that symbolizes healing. Yeis can be male or female and are often depicted with different shaped heads. The Yei symbol appeared in petroglyphs in the Southwest, and can be found in many different Native American arts and crafts, and especially woven into rugs, which we call Yei Rugs. Yei Rugs are not sacred or traditional in Navajo culture; instead, they were commercially developed by non-Native Will Evans, who once owned a trading company called Shiprock Trading Company. Navajos at the time protested using their sacred symbols this way but over time made them as decorative pieces. If someone tells you that a Yei Rug is sacred, just know they are not used in ceremonies. Yei Rugs tend to be small in size and colorful. They lend themselves to a wall-hanging or tapestry; this rug is like a beautiful painting to be hung. Most Yei Rugs come from the Shiprock, NM area. This one came from a Crownpoint Rug Weavers auction, a little less than two hours from Shiprock. It hung with original tag on the wall of a home underneath the swamp cooler for 50+ years, the dust and draft from the cooler leaving it in pretty bad shape. I took it to the specialist in New Mexico who works magic on any rugs but especially Navajo rugs, and they were able to not only salvage the piece but clean it up nicely. It is not perfect, as it does have some age to it, but it is a beautiful piece that would make a wonderful wall hanging in a Southwestern home. I lost the original tag that was stapled onto it all those years. I took this to the 2019 Maxwell Museum annual appraisal event, where Sheri Burnham, Auctioneer and CAGA certified appraiser with R.B. Burnham & Co. Trading Post, gave this an informal verbal appraisal of retail value of $750.
Measures 30-1/2" (2.5 feet) wide by a little over 19" (1.6 feet) tall. This is a used piece that has been cleaned by a specialist in Navajo rugs. It has some fuzziness to the wool, and a couple of spots of moth damage.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
More hacienda decor: https://romaarellano.com/shop/6877927/hacienda-taos-mexico
Midcentury decor: https://romaarellano.com/shop/17249067/from-the-midcentury
All items in shop: https://romaarellano.com
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 5 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 7 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 5 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• For oversized boxes (larger than 108" total) going to Alaska or Hawaii the shipping carriers charge rates similar to International postage. As a small business, we can not absorb those rates, so anything oversized to either of those states will be cancelled for a full refund.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. insure items of $100 or more. In some cases we add Signature Required. If we need to delay shipping due to travel, we will let you know.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within three days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
Yes, we can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. We follow the Etsy recommended approach of having you purchase an item using Other as a payment option, then invoicing you via PayPal per the payment schedule upon which we mutually agree.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days (with three reminders) go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.