This charming antique walnut wood shelf is a "nicho" or religious display, with a drawer that would have been used to hold candles, and shelf to hold favorite saints. The piece was made by hand in a style called "Eastlake," named after Victorian designer Charles Eastlake (1836-1906) who rejected the strong curves and high relief carving of traditional Victorian furniture and "presented furniture that was angular, rectilinear, and reduced to simpler geometric shapes. At the same time, he did not disavow ornamentation completely as in some country and mission styles, but reduced it to low reliefs that created less dramatic shadows. Most of the decorative elements in Eastlake's style were through geometrically shaped brackets, spindles, trestles, and other elements." His ideas were closely connected to the Arts and Crafts movement, and even though this piece was made in the Victorian era--circa late 1800s to early 1900s--you can see how it breaks away from the over-the-top Rococco and starts to move into a new, more modern era of design. This piece made its way into New Mexico, and into a Catholic home, where it was set up as a home altar for religious "santos." There is a focal "box" area--see close up in Photo 2--which is where one might place a main saint. It is the perfect size for my Holy Infant of Prague, which you can see displayed in Photo 3. The adjacent shelf is perfect for other saints, as shown in Photo 4. The saints pictured do not come with the unit.
The unit measures 21" tall by 13-3/4" wide at the top, with the shelf being 18-1/2" wide by 4-7/8" deep. The center focal "box" is 4-5/8" wide by about 3-1/4" deep. Given the age of the piece--over 100 years!--there is some wear. First, the horizontal cross pieces of wood at the top are attached through tongue and groove, and on one side have come out slightly. This can be tightened a bit with a soft mallet, although because of wood expansion in the dry Southwest, it won't be perfect. There are some scratches in the walnut wood, which can be minimized with scratch coat oil. There in one spot on the back, captured in Photo 7, where the wood has splintered. This is not visible from the front. No hanger for hanging but you can hook the piece onto two nails or add a hanger. The piece will be carefully packed for shipping.
A simple yet beautiful antique display for the Catholic home!
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For more salvage: https://romaarellano.com/shop/19220552/industrial-salvage
For hacienda decor: https://romaarellano.com/shop/6877927/hacienda-taos-mexico
And all items: https://romaarellano.com
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 5 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 7 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 5 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• For oversized boxes (larger than 108" total) going to Alaska or Hawaii the shipping carriers charge rates similar to International postage. As a small business, we can not absorb those rates, so anything oversized to either of those states will be cancelled for a full refund.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. insure items of $100 or more. In some cases we add Signature Required. If we need to delay shipping due to travel, we will let you know.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within three days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
Yes, we can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. We follow the Etsy recommended approach of having you purchase an item using Other as a payment option, then invoicing you via PayPal per the payment schedule upon which we mutually agree.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days (with three reminders) go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.