I have been collecting Mexican ex-votos--or "láminas" as those made of metal or tin are called in Spanish--since the early 1980s, and while I have only a small collection, each one is absolutely wonderful. Mexicans are people of great faith, and when someone fell sick or got into trouble and then recovered, the idea was to express your request or thanks by painting it on a piece of metal or wood to the patron saint who could answer your need or to give thanks to the saint for answering the prayer. In early days, someone might take their prayer to a local artist who was know to have a great hand with a paintbrush, and that person would paint the request. Later, though, this became something you might do yourself, a form of folk art, and the pictures as we look at them today are absolutely charming.
This lamina was painted in 1882, and is a thank you from the parents of a girl named Soledad who fell sick on a month, I believe March or May. The story handwritten at the bottom tells us that her parents Ventura Martines and Clementa Vasquez asked the Divine Mother Saint for a cure for their daughter, and that she did recover. The handwriting is in the style of that of Mexican and Spaniards in that era, with flourishes on the ends of As and Ms, as an example, and numbers ending in curlicues. The image, by now grainy from the natural rust and aging of the metal piece onto which it is painted, depicts the Divine Mother Saint on a cloud, her face benevolent and golden (faded) rays about her head. The parents are small in comparison and kneeling in prayer and to thank her. Their daughter lies in a bed behind them.
I found this piece in a Mexican antique store. You see many ex votos today that are reproductions of this folk art form, and they are wonderful in their charming stories and vibrant colors. But to find one that is truly old is quite rare. This one measures 10" wide by 8-1/2" tall. The metal has a two holes at the top into which wire would have been thread for hanging.
The power of faith, and the power of the past. May they both endure.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For more saints and spirits: https://romaarellano.com/shop/17770597/saints-santos-spirit
And hacienda decor: https://romaarellano.com/shop/6877927/hacienda-taos-mexico
And all items: https://romaarellano.com
1 business day
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 7 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 5 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We do ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more. In some cases we add Signature Required.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within three days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
Yes, we can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. We follow the Etsy recommended approach of having you purchase an item using Other as a payment option, then invoicing you via PayPal per the payment schedule upon which we mutually agree.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days (with three reminders) go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.
Dec 12, 2018
Roma, what can I say? You've done it again. This mystical, magical, miracle painting arrived today. She couldn't be delivered yesterday b/c of the unexpected snow storm we had; but, I think it was really b/c she wanted to make her grand entrance on Her feast day today!!! She is, of course, inspiring me already with her sacred message to trust Her with the miracles we so desperately need! I loved reading your story of miracles too and the family of wildness that defines you. I too am a westerner, and thrive in the joy that defines that place in our heart that is wide open, free, creative, beautiful and part of the land that we grow out of and share! Blessings to all of you and thanks for your sacred DOTD art! I embrace your gift with love and respect! Go BOHO!