I started collecting Peruvian folk art from the Jimenez family while in graduate school in the late 1980s, and bought my first retablo then from Nicario Jimenez, then later, in the early 1990s, met brother Claudio. I commissioned him to create several masks for me, both in large and miniature sizes. This large three-dimensional mask is one of several from my collection, made of paper mache, and featuring a fabulously detailed and delightfully frightful imp, with gigantic nose, eyes, and teeth. The mask is made for hanging on the wall, and normally Claudio made these in miniature form, but I was so taken with them that I requested large ones. These are truly unlike anything you will find, so vibrant, so fabulous!
Here is an example of a miniature mask by the same artist in my shop: https://www.etsy.com/listing/400327889/vintage-miniature-painted-clay-mask-by
And more about the artist in this sold listing of mine: https://www.etsy.com/listing/241356058/intricate-three-dimensional-scene-of-the
The large mask offered here measures about 11-1/2" tall by 7-1/2" wide and 8" deep. This can be hung, and he did modify it for hanging, although I would recommend reinforcing that hanging mechanism. It is also a true mask and has two holes for the mask elastic, although it DOES NOT come with elastic. Also, one of the holes would need to be opened up a bit as it seems to have not been fully opened, likely due to the fact that he knew he was making this to hang versus to wear. Otherwise, in great vintage condition.
For the collector of true Latin American folk art treasures.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
See all my other folk art: https://romaarellano.com/shop/17770625/latin-world-folk-art
And see all the items in my shop: https://romaarellano.com
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our Facebook link. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.