This beautiful folk art "bulto" or three-dimensional wood carving of the Holy Family is by renowned "Santero" Abad Eloy Lucero (1909-2009). Lucero was honored in 2001 at the age of 92 as a "Santa Fe Living Treasure." From his bio on that website: "Wood into art. That has been the lifework of Abad Eloy Lucero. Ever since he was 18 he has been turning pine and cottonwood into furniture, santos, retablos, bultos and other expressions of art. And that has been a long time-74 years--for he is now 92. He began crafting wood for the Native Market in Santa Fe, making Spanish Colonial furniture. During the Depression he taught traditional Hispanic arts for the National Youth Administration, inspiring hundreds of students. After service in World War II, he returned to New Mexico for a series of jobs: construction, U.S. Forest Service shop foreman, trainer at the Springer Boys School, instructor in woodworking, sculpting, upholstery and painting in vocational institutions in Taos, Mora and Quay counties. Since retiring from public service in 1971 he has concentrated on his art. His santos have been featured at the Museum of Albuquerque; and others of his works are in the permanent collection of the Museum of International Folk Art in Santa Fe." This particular piece, which is absolutely charming, was done in 1958, when Lucero was 51, fairly early relative to the overall length of his vocation. Compared to his later works, this one is more primitive and less sophisticated, which is exactly why I love it.
Religious art of New Mexico originated with the Spanish settlers who came to this region in the late sixteenth century. As described by Montez Gallery in Santa Fe, they merged "their old European art form with their experiences in New Spain, they created their own unique devotional art. The santos (saints), were made in two-dimensional form known as retablos, and three-dimensional sculptural pieces known as bultos. Both are among the most valued collectibles of religious antiques today. The contemporary santos and bultos made by well-known artists, many of whom are descendants of the original santeros (religious artists), are equally valued by those seeking spiritual support and serious investment value."
Retablos and bultos of New Mexico are a beautiful form of folk art, a truly early form of "outsider art", that can be found in churches, museums, and personal home altars, as well as displayed as pieces of art in adobe and other homes.
This piece measures 9" wide by just over 10" tall and about 1-3/4" thick at the thickest point. Weighs 1/75 pounds unpacked. This piece is from 1958 and not only reflects the early style of the artist but also the wear of an older piece.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For more saints and spirits: https://romaarellano.com/shop/17770597/saints-santos-spirit<br /> And all items: https://romaarellano.com
1-2 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Information Collect by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as your name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop relies on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
• as needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, or to provide customer support;
• when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Your personal information for very limited reasons and in limited circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases:
• You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you by contacting this shop using the contact information below.
• You may also have rights to change, restrict our use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where we are required to store data for legal reasons) we will generally delete your personal information upon request.
• You can object to (i) our processing of some of your information based on legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from this shop after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, we will delete your personal information unless there are compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
• If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about this shop's use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
How to Contact this Shop
For purposes of EU data protection law, we, Roma Arellano and Jim Ransom, as primary owners of this shop, are the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact us using my contact details in the "Additional policies and FAQs" section immediately above this one.
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page @ romaarellano.com or follows us on Instagram @ roma.arellano. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our links. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.