Here is a delightful folk art rooster pottery statue by Mexican folk art master Gerardo Ortega, from Santa Cruz de las Hurtas, a suburb of Tonala, Mexico. Ortega and other artists from this area are known for making "barro betus," which is a form of glazed pottery whose patina was originally made with the resin of a pine tree called "betus." From a website about the artist: "His teacher was his father, Eleuterio Ortega Hernandez, and his grandmother, Natividad Hernandez. Gerardo is the 4th generation to work with barro betus. The process begins with 'tortillando' or kneading the clay into unique shapes. The kiln is readied and fires pieces created several days before. Before firing, the clay is black. The pieces have to be dried in the open air before baking them or they will explode. The firing is done at a very low temperature compared to other types of ceramics. Each figure is rubbed with birch oil just before firing, giving them a lacquered appearance once finished. Kilns are simple brick holes covered with old tiles." The artist is known for his whimsical depictions of roosters, and this one has so much personality, as most roosters do. We owned roosters for many years, and I even bear the scars of a rooster attack, so I have a lot of respect--and in all honestly, a wee bit of dislike--for these creatures. Predominantly green (a bit on the teal side), red, yellow, and blue. Signed Ortega on the top side of the base.
The statue measures just over 13-1/2" tall by about 7-1/2" across and about 7-1/4" deep. A small surface chip on the base, which I have restored, and there are some areas along the edge of the base where paint has rubbed or flaked off. Otherwise in good vintage condition.
Cocky folk art.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
See all my other folk art: https://romaarellano.com/shop/17770625/latin-world-folk-art
And see all the items in my shop: https://romaarellano.com
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our Facebook link. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.