I've come across a lot of Mexican feather paintings and generally I pass on them, but this pair was so vibrant and the frames so ornate and in such good condition, I couldn't pass them up. One word of caution, though: feathers are real, and as organic vintage items, they are subject to decay. Some of the feathers in these paintings have, in fact, decayed, due to moth damage. Still, I bought the pieces as the frames alone are worthy of being rescued, and perhaps reused now or after the "paintings" have run their course. Called "arteplumaria" in Spanish, feature paintings pre-dated the Spanish entry into Latin America, as the indigienous peoples of that region used features to decorate almost every type of ceremonial garment used as well as weapons and art. From a website about this form of art: Certain artisans were given "permission to use feathers of the most sacred bird of the Aztecs, the quetzal, the killing of which was punishable by death. Artisans favored the feathers of the hummingbird and the sword-shaped quetzal feathers due to their brilliant green color, as well as the feathers of the tlauhquechol, a heron that yielded brilliant pink feathers and the zacuán, a yellow coastal bird. A less brilliant green came from parrots, brown from the pajaro vaquero, and black and white feathers from the ayacuán. Red came from a species of macaw." The method of the paintings offered here is a layering technique where feathers are glued onto a flat surface to create a piece with dimension and vivid color.
Each painting measures 9" by 16" and frames 11-1/2" by 18-3/8". The frames are in very good condition; the feather paintings less so yet even with the bit of moth damage--see Photos 3-4 for close ups--still worth displaying.
Incredible and beautiful art.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
See my other vintage folk art here: https://romaarellano.com/shop/17770625/latin-world-folk-art
And see all the items in my shop here: https://romaarellano.com
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our Facebook link. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.