Here we have an ADORABLE miniature mudhead figurine that I purchased at an estate as part of a lot by Santa Clara Pueblo wife and husband team Dorothy and Paul Gutierrez. Just as Santa Clara is known for black pottery, the Gutierrezes are known , for their mudhead figural pottery. Black pottery begins with natural red clay gathered from the area. From a website describing the process: "The artist generally rolls the clay into long thin rolls, then begins to 'build' the piece by layering these rolls one on top of the other. This hand coiled method includes smoothing the coils by hand to the pottery's final shape. The artist then begins the arduous task of polishing the piece. This is accomplished by rubbing a smooth 'polishing' stone over the piece over and over until the red clay shines. Finally, the piece is fired in an 'oxygen reduction' firing process. During the firing, the artist smothers the fire with horse manure. The manure traps a thick, carbon rich smoke all around the piece. The carbon contained in the smoke fuses itself into the clay, turning it black. This black color can never be removed or washed off. The entire process is fraught with problems as about 3 of every 5 pieces actually emerge from the fire without damage. Given the rarity of this pottery, artists often view the clay as a living entity. A finished piece is often revered as a gift from what pueblo potters often respectfully refer to as the 'Clay Mother'. The end result is a stunning piece of Native American pottery work of art."
Paul and Dorothy Gutierrez have been married since 1965. Dorothy is Navajo, and Paul is Santa Clara-Tewa Pueblo Indian. Both come from well-known artist families. Dorothy and Paul's mudheads are called "Koshares"; the koshare takes on the role of clown in Indian ceremonial dances, and they are intended to make us smile and remind us to not take life too seriously. This is the third piece from the lot that I bought, and on this one the signature--often done in pencil on top of the clay surface since the graphite shines against the matte finish--has almost completely rubbed off. Fortunately I know the provenance and can attest to the artist. Here is a link to the pieces that I sold by the artist couple: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1239612820.
The pottery mudhead offered here measures about 4" long from elbow to toe and 2" tall, and about an inch in depth. Completely hand made and thus carry the perfect imperfections of hand made pieces. No chips or cracks. Remnants of signature on the bottom.
Because sometimes we just need to smile!
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
Visit our Native American section: https://romaarellano.com/shop/17770535/native-american-tribal
And all items: http://romaarellano.com
1-2 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our Facebook link. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.