The very first piece of art I collected, at the age of 18 and paid for with tax returns, was a series of Koshare clowns eating cotton candy and watermelon. I don't run across many other Koshares, but this is the second one I've found recently, and this one is absolutely delightful. The clown is seated, one hand on head and eyes crossed as it stares at a giant plop of bird poop on its nose, the bird still atop the head. And the piece is signed J. Fragua, which if you know anything about pottery from New Mexico's Jemez Pueblo, you know that Juanita Fragua is a master. She tends to be mentioned more these days for having taught her renowned potter daughter, Gloria. I have always loved the Koshare clown, whose role is of jester or trickster in the Kachina tradition. From an interview with Pueblo potter Roxanne Swentzell, one of the most renowned Koshare makers today, "The koshares, the Pueblo clowns, serve to balance things in the pueblo. They relay messages to the community that other people cannot say, but the koshare can, better than anyone. The clowns reflect something people need to see about themselves. Like when someone is greedy: instead of shouting, the clown will sit in front of his house, and act like a greedy individual, collecting rocks — and will transmit his message to that person by doing so." And this particular representation shows the Koshare's humorous side so well!
This piece measures 7" tall by 4-3/4" wide at the widest point, and 3-3/4" deep. The clown's hat has straw dangles on the end, and often straw used in kachinas and folk art will break and fall out over time. This straw is in relatively good condition, as is the overall condition of the pottery.
Because one of the best virtues in life is the ability to laugh at oneself.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
Visit our Native American section here: http://bit.ly/2pWrLPx
And all items in our shop here: https://romaarellano.com
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our Facebook link. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.