I initially picked up this glass case because I love these vintage brass and glass cases in their cool geometric shapes, and yes the case is lovely, but I couldn't believe my eyes when I realized what was inside. A very special, very old wedding cake topper! A piece of masking tape applied underneath the case reveals that the cake topper is from a wedding on 8-12-44!!! August 12, 1944 was a Saturday. World War II was five years in and about a year from ending. This groom in this cake topper is a decorated soldier, perhaps on leave that day to marry his bride. He had reddish hair and a goatee, which we can see from the depiction. His name was Bill, which we know from the piece of tap on the bottom. The bride's name starts with an N, but I can't decipher it completely and I don't want to turn the case upside down and study the writing, as the topper includes other items--small rose buds that I am sure are quite fragile. The bride has reddish auburn hair, long and wavy. She carries yellow and white daisies. This piece is just amazing to me, as my own parents--still alive at ages 93 and soon-to-be 91--just this week celebrated 70 years of marriage. They were married in 1947, three years after the couple in this cake topper.
I am selling the cake topper as I found in, in the case with tape and all. It will ship with much care, contents inside the case gently stabilized, then wrapping the case so it will arrive intact. The case measures about 6-1/2" across by 6" tall. It is a polygon shape on the top and sides. The cake topper itself is in amazing condition given its age but there are some small nibbles of the chalkware (which, by the way, was made to sparkle like sugar and the base to flow like frosting) on the groom's shoulder, for example. The yellow rose buds, which I believe may have been the groom's corsage, are crumbling.
The world's greatest generation--it's an honor to hold this piece as it waits to grace the next union.
See all the items in my shop here:
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our Facebook link. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.