Here we have a gorgeous Victorian majolica planter or jardiniere, the raised and molded surface design a yellow songbird sitting on a berry bramble--the branches of which function as the short pedestal--about to eat or otherwise convening with a dragonfly. Bird and insect are framed by pink blossoms, purple berries, and green leaves of the berry plant. I've seen this same design (form and imagery) in different colors, described as French majolica, and it may be French or English. In either case, I love the selection of colors--actually colored lead glazes--and specifically the periwinkle blue used to shadow the entire piece, including the Asian motif border at the top. In fact, although it is not what I would consider an Asian design, that border combined with the blues against white and the bamboo-like feel of the berry branches, give this a Chinoiserie feel, and it certainly would fit with Asian decor, as well as Victorian decor, or even in a bohemian home. This era of majolica was especially long-wearing, which we can see on this piece--as even though the interior is grimy from decades of collecting dust, the colors are vibrant. And what really stands out is that yellow song bird, with its black legs, and the black of the dragonfly. Pieces from this era are said to be characterized by an element of "High Victorian whimsy," which this design certainly embodies.
Measures just over 8" tall by about 11" across and 7-1/2" deep. The base is about 5-1/4" in diameter. There are a few fleabites along edges, yet otherwise in quite good vintage condition with no chips or cracks. The piece is unsigned, and there are no identifying marks. Weighs 2.25 pounds and will be double boxed for shipping.
Beautiful bird, great symbolism.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
See my other midcentury modern decor here:
See my decor items that you might find in a home in Taos, Santa Fe, or Mexico here :
And see all the items in my shop here:
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our Facebook link. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.