Here we have an absolutely amazing and rare giant pottery egg and stand, from Tlaquepaque, in the style of master potter Jose Luis Cortez Hernandez. This particular design, with woodland animals and curved floral elements is called "Fantasia" for the fantasy way in which it is rendered. This egg and another one that I purchased at an old New Mexico estate were said to be bought in the 1960s to 70s during a family trip to Guadalajara and to the artist markets of Tonala and Tlaquepaque. The two eggs--this and the other--were painstaking carried back to New Mexico and brought out each Easter as the primary decor in an old adobe hacienda. I collect a lot of old Mexican pottery from Tlaquepaque and Tonala, including large pieces that I have carried back--and so I can appreciate the excitement of having something so beautiful and unique. I have been unable to find anything like these eggs, and I wish now that I would have asked if they were made specifically for this family, as it was not uncommon to ask master artists, who were working in their studios, to create custom pieces for you.
The egg on stand measures about 10" tall and the stand diameter is about 8". Base is about 2-1/4" with a concave top, and so the egg itself is close to 8" tall. The egg has a hole at the top and inside the egg is the plug that would have been pushed in from the top, which you can hear rattling around if you pick up the egg and gently shake it. Signed MEXICO on the bottom of the egg. There is one small chip in the surface of the side, which I've captured in the bottom right hand corner of Photo 4. There may be other small fleabites, yet no major cracks and in good vintage condition. Weighs close to five pounds unpacked, and will be double boxed, which accounts for the high shipping cost.
Truly one of a kind Easter decoration or any time decoration for your casa.
See my decor items that you might find in a home in Taos, Santa Fe, or Mexico here:
See my other midcentury modern decor here:
And see all the items in my shop here:
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our Facebook link. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.