Here we have a fabulous vintage ceramic statue of a Kachina dancer--not the Kachina doll but rather the man who would be dressed as a Kachina and dancing on a Native American fiesta day or pow wow. This dancer is representing the Great Horned Owl, which we can tell by the big round eyes, beak, and horned feathers at the head. The piece is done in matte finish, well-rendered and includes a leather cape that is soft and supple. On the bottom are the words, Happy Birthday Frank. As the statue carries no other signature, we have no way of knowing whether this was done by an artist or a hobbyist, nor whether it was Native American or not. We do know that hobbyist pottery was big in the mid-century, as was this country's fascination with all things Southwest and Native American, and we estimate this piece to be from that era.
From a website describing the different Kachinas, here is this about the Owl: "The Great Horned Owl or Mongwa (sometimes spelled Mongwu) is ... famous for his disciplinary battles with the clowns. Whenever the clowns' behavior becomes too outrageous, they are disciplined by him. To keep their outrageous antics from interrupting the ceremony, the owl supervises the clowns during many of the ceremonies. Mongwa would usually watch the clowns with a heavy, disapproving stare." The Owl Kachina also symbolizes intelligence and wisdom.
This piece measures 15-1/5" tall by about 6-1/2" wide at the widest point, and the base is about 3-3/4" in diameter. There are a few spots where the paint has flaked off, which could easily be restored. I kind of like the piece as is, however, as the imperfections speak to age. As with many ceramic pieces, a small piece of the clay was trapped inside the piece (this often happens when a plug is cut out and the piece falls inside rather than outside) and so you can hear it jangling around if you pick up the piece. Otherwise in great vintage condition with no chips or cracks.
Inspired by great reverence, amazing culture.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
Visit our Native American section here: http://bit.ly/2pWrLPx
And all items in our shop here: https://romaarellano.com
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our Facebook link. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.