"Wolf Robe" Hunt (aka Wayne Henry Hunt) was born at Acoma Pueblo in 1905 and died in 1977. He was the son of potter and weaver Morning Star, and Edward Hunt, an incredible Native American who in 1928 and at the age of 64 took his family--Wolf Robe included--to the Smithsonian Museum and recounted the story of Sky City (Acoma) and the origin myth. See this article, which shows the Hunt family in full regalia on their visit to Washington, DC: http://www.santafenewmexican.com/pasatiempo/books/readings_signings/the-story-of-sky-city-edward-hunt-and-the-acoma/article_ce743b7a-666d-58af-bd05-6fbad4abe3de.html<br />
And so it is no wonder that Wolf Robe Hunt, Edward's son, became a renowned jeweler, painter, and sculptor whose works are highly prized and collected today. Wolf Robe attended Albuquerque High School and took private art lessons from famous Albuquerque artist, Carl Redin. Hunt moved to Tulsa, Oklahoma, and opened his own Indian arts shop there. He also studied art under Frank Vonderlachen in Tulsa. Today Wolf Robe Hunt jewelry is listed and represented in national galleries.
The piece I have here is a small ring, and I have to wonder how much of that has to do with the size of people's hands seventy to eighty years ago. Hunt died at the age of 72. Assuming he made this ring when he was in his 30s or 40s, before he moved to Tulsa and began running a trading post, the ring would date to the late 1930s/1940s. The turquoise cabachon is chipped with age. The hand-stamped silver thunderbird is vibrant and clear, and the stamping along the edge of the double-shank band is still visible though worn. Remember that soon after this time frame was when companies like Bell Trading and Fred Harvey boomed, and the thunderbird symbol flourished. You have to wonder how much of that was replicated from exactly this kind of authentic design.
The ring is in good vintage condition. Some scratching, particularly on the inside back (see photo 5) although you can still make out the tiny stamp "WOLF-ROBE". The ring is size 4.75, which on most people today would make it a pinky ring. The thunderbird setting measures about 5/8" across and about 3/4" long. The turquoise cab is just over 1/8" wide and 5/8" long.
I am honored to hold this small yet powerful piece of the past, even if only for a short time.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
Visit our Native American section here: http://bit.ly/2pWrLPx<br /> And all items in our shop here: https://romaarellano.com
1 business day
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page @ romaarellano.com or follows us on Instagram @ roma.arellano. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our links. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.