This beautiful folk art retablo of Santo Nino became mine in the early 1990s. I bought it in a gallery in Santa Fe, and it hung in our rustic home for many years. I have many retablos(paintings on wood) and bultos (sculptures) from New Mexico, and I am letting go of a few pieces from my own collection. I was drawn to this piece both for the saint--Santo Nino, or Holy Child--and for the graphic style of painting. The artist's name is very hard to read, and I've since forgotten who it was, but I do recall that the artist/painter was from New Mexico. Also really like the way the wood board is had carved and no completely flat or smooth, and the rustic spiral found metal hanger at the top.
Religious art of New Mexico originated with the Spanish settlers who came to this region in the late sixteenth century. As described by Montez Gallery in Santa Fe, they merged "their old European art form with their experiences in New Spain, they created their own unique devotional art. The santos (saints), were made in two-dimensional form known as retablos, and three-dimensional sculptural pieces known as bultos. Both are among the most valued collectibles of religious antiques today. The contemporary santos and bultos made by well-known artists, many of whom are descendants of the original santeros (religious artists), are equally valued by those seeking spiritual support and serious investment value."
Retablos and bultos of New Mexico are a beautiful form of folk art, a truly early form of "outsider art", that can be found in churches, museums, and personal home altars, as well as displayed as pieces of art in adobe and other homes.
This piece measures 11" wide and 12" tall, not including the hanger, and 3/4about 1/4" to 3/8" thick depending on where you measure it. This retablo has been sealed with a slightly glossy finish.
See my other spirit-infused vintage items here:
And my decor items that you might find in a home in Taos, Santa Fe, or Mexico here:
And my midcentury modern decor here:
And all the items in my shop here:
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our Facebook link. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.