This wood carved saint statue is not very large, yet it exudes grace and presence. It is a crowned Virgin Mary in red dress and blue cape, seated in a simple and low throne, the tiny Christ child in her lap. One of her removable hands is missing, not uncommon for carved saints from this era, and in the other hand she holds the remnants of a globus cruciger or some other symbol. The saint was carved circa late 19th Century, and is Mexican, with traditional colored dress and robe. It is not uncommon to find antique santos--and in this three-dimensional form, they are called "bultos" in Spanish--with this much distress. Such a saint is a devotional piece of art, more than likely carved by a layperson who has some skill in carving but who is not trained in fine art. Being that Mexico was so isolated from Spain and the center of the Catholic religion, a saint like this would have been carved by observing paintings or other statues brought from Spain, and this one would have been made based on those depictions. Hence, it has a primitive, naiive look to it, and it would have been devotional, done for a village parish or even the home of someone important. The fact that the paint in areas is cracking and peeling, revealing either gesso underneath or even the raw wood, speaks to the age and the arid climate of Mexico and New Mexico, where the saint resided. The estate that last owned and displayed the saint was in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and the piece was meaningful to a woman who had originally been Catholic but converted to Judaism when she married her husband. As anyone raised in the Catholic faith knows, Catholicism is cultural, it and the connection to saints is strong. And the connection to the Virgin Mary can be equally as strong as that to Jesus, as Mary was someone who walked through a life of grief with dignity and strength, and many Catholics, even converted ones, look to her as a source of faith, the letting go and allowing her grace to help hold and withstand the pains of life and death. The owner's daughter recalled the carved nicho, too, which is many respects is just as valuable an artifact as the saint, in her childhood home. It is painted a gray blue, and like the saint, is crackled and crazed with age and wear. The back has glued a piece of muslin or cheesecloth, now discolored. The sides of the nicho have turned wood, something we think of today as "barley twist" carving, which originated in the late 17th Century and became popular in the Victorian Era, so while we can't say with certainty that it was made for the saint, the era in which it was made is within range. It has beautiful detailing on the sides, and because it came with the saint from the same estate, I am keeping the two together.
The Virgin Mary measures about 8-1/2" tall and the base is about 3-3/8" wide by about 2-1/2" deep. The artist painted the bottom piece of wood on the base the same blue color as the saint's cape. The saint is lightweight, another sign of age, at about seven ounces. The nicho measures about 12-1/4" tall to the top of the piece by about 7-1/4" wide including the applied carved decorations on the side by just over 3-1/2" deep. The interior part of the box is closer to 9" tall by just over 5" wide. Weighs 1.13 pounds. Both pieces will be handled and packaged carefully for shipping.
Note that due to lighting plus monitor settings for brightness, contrast and other factors, there may be differences in the colors and tones of photos versus that of the actual item. Please message with questions and I will respond as soon as possible.
See my other spirit-infused treasures here: https://romaarellano.com/shop/17770597/saints-santos-spirit
For all hacienda decor: https://romaarellano.com/shop/6877927/hacienda-taos-mexico
And all items: https://romaarellano.com
3-5 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. and any order of $100 or more will be insured via third party insurance.
• Any package valued at $250 or more will require Signature upon delivery. Third Party insurer requires Signature in certain cases, so please do not ask that we ship without Signature as this creates a risk we are not willing to take.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within 14 days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
We can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment up to two months for full payment.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.