This necklace is made with a large vintage brass bead in the shape of a disc or medallion, from the Baule in the Ivory Coast of Africa. The original Baule disc pendants were made by creating two discs and coiling fine threads of wax in a lost wax method. The "hole" runs through the entire center, which was achieved by laying the discs over a rod then joined. According to the British Museum, which holds pendants of these made of gold, "this style of pendant was typically worn by Asantehene's servants known as akra (soul-washers) although fewer of them are known. It is quite likely that this ornament was worn as a pendant at major public festivals as an item of courtly display." While these types of pendants were made by the Baule, it is believed they also became part of Asante culture when contact was made between the two peoples after 1730. This pendant is not nearly that old, made likely in the second half of the 20th century. It has been strung onto a necklace of relatively thick pin shell heishi, commonly used in Native American jewelry in the Southwest. The heishi beads are super fine and flat yet packed together tightly so that there is a smooth, serpent-like feel to it when you pull the necklace through your hand. There are also silver tone spacers that have a warm hue, as they reflect the warm tones of the shells. Finished off with a brass/bronze ornate hook and eye. The effect of the large pendant with the shells is dramatic yet earthy, African yet Southwestern. Definitely a unisex piece.
The pendant is 1-3/4" in diameter although measuring across the horizontal hole running through it, is more like 2-1/2" across. The necklace measures about 30-3/4" long, and the findings are bronzed brass. Total weight is 55g. The pendant is antique and has a small opening or hole in the back from wear over time.
A worldly one-of-a-kind necklace made with ancient materials from different cultures.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For all tribal jewelry: https://bit.ly/2CUpcFS
For Mexican jewelry: https://bit.ly/2BYXWDb
For Native American necklaces: http://bit.ly/2ESs4Tf
And all items in shop: http://romaarellano.com
1 business day
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. and any order of $100 or more will be insured via third party insurance.
• Any package valued at $250 or more will require Signature upon delivery. Third Party insurer requires Signature in certain cases, so please do not ask that we ship without Signature as this creates a risk we are not willing to take.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within 14 days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
We can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment up to two months for full payment.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.