This Fred Press (1919-2012) Gemini art sculpture is uncommon, as most of his Zodiac pieces were cast in bronze metal; this one is made of a heavy plaster painted a khaki olive-green color. Press was an artist and designer with a wide range of talents, perhaps most commonly known for commercial giftware and glassware. In the 1930s, he and his brother had a company called Contemporary Arts, Inc., which mainly produced statues and sculptures that Press designed. His themes covered the gamut from historically significant to mythological characters. By the 1950s, Press became the chief designer and executive vice president of Rubel and Company, which revolutionized New York high-end giftware industry. Most websites selling his Zodiac sculptures indicate that it was this era in which he designed the Astrological Zodiac sculptures. Although again most of these were cast in bronze, you can find some of his sculptures cast of heavy plaster and painted. Case in point, this sculpture of the Gemini Twins. Being a Gemini myself, I relate to the solemn and the eerie vacant look in the twins' eyes. Geminis are known for their interiority, a mercurial nature, and their artistic and writerly bent. If you've ever wondered why Geminis are depicted as twins, of course, the Gemini star pattern displays what many cultures see as two humans. But the mythology behind that star pattern is that of twins Castor and Pollux. The most common version of the story is that the queen of Sparta gave birth to two sets of twins, with one boy and one girl in each pair. One set was fathered by her husband, the other by Zeus, king of the gods. The four children were raised together, and the two boys--one mortal, the other immortal-- were inseparable. They had many adventures and eventually the mortal Castor was killed. Pollux was inconsolable, and begged Zeus to allow him to die so he could join Castor. Moved by Pollux's love for his brother, Zeus agreed to keep them together for eternity. They spend half of their time in the underworld, the other half in the heavens, where they are represented by the stars of Gemini. Bronze Zodiac art statues of Press's can be found on the market selling in the $200-$500 range.
This plaster art sculpture measures about 9-3/8" tall and the base is 2-3/4" wide by 2-3/8" deep. Weighs 2.7 pounds. This piece does have a couple of spots where the paint has flaked away revealing the white plaster underneath. Those spots are easy to disguise with a bit of army green marker.
If you're starstruck by a Gemini, this art statue will be a hit!
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
See midcentury decor: https://romaarellano.com/shop/17249067/from-the-midcentury
For hacienda decor: https://romaarellano.com/shop/6877927/hacienda-taos-mexico
For all items in shop: https://romaarellano.com
1 business day
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. and any order of $100 or more will be insured via third party insurance.
• Any package valued at $250 or more will require Signature upon delivery. Third Party insurer requires Signature in certain cases, so please do not ask that we ship without Signature as this creates a risk we are not willing to take.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within 14 days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
We can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment up to two months for full payment.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.