This reproduction of the 1895 painting "Garden in May" by Maria Oakey Dewing (1845-1927) was produced in the 1970s as a textured print, meaning, it has some raised areas and more than most prints, is intended to resemble an actual painting. While it does a decent job of that, it is, of course, only a reproduction. What makes it special is the gorgeous ornate wood gilt frame. This piece would have been the type you could find in the 1970s through 90s in a large department store's home decor area, pricey then because of the work that went into making them seem like original pieces of art. Maria Oakey Dewing and husband Thomas Wilmer Dewing spent summers from 1885 to 1905 at an artist colony in Cornish, NH, where they cultivated a large garden. From the Smithsonian website, which holds the original painting: "In Garden in May, the viewer has a 'worm's-eye view' of a bed of carnations and roses. Dewing places the viewer among the living stems and blossoms that she knew so well. She has cropped a section from the larger bed for intense study, as if she had held a frame in front of the garden and painted only what fit in the rectangle. As a young woman, Dewing published articles and books on etiquette and housekeeping. In later years she wrote about painting for the national magazine Art and Progress. Having studied at both the Cooper Union School of Design for Women and the National Academy of Design, she took her art seriously, as did critics. Despite the success, her career held disappointment. As the wife of one of the most prominent figure painters of the day, she felt unable to compete with her husband, substituting her flower painting for the figure compositions she had exhibited in her student days. At the end of her life, Dewing expressed doubt in her accomplishments and regret for what she had given up: 'I have hardly touched any achievement', she wrote in a letter the year she died.'I dreamed of groups and figures in big landscapes and I still see them'." At that time, women were not allowed to attend figure drawings with men, and very few women sustained careers in the art world. She is today considered an important role model for women, having established herself as an artist "whose work equaled, and often surpassed, that of her male contemporaries." In addition to her works being part of the permanent collections of the Smithsonian, they are also found in the National Gallery of Art and other fine museums around the country. And, as this piece demonstrates, her works became so desirable that they were made--and still are today--into reproductions so that more people can enjoy them in their homes.
This back of the piece is sealed so I can't get an exact measurement of the print, but what shows through the frame opening is a little over 7" wide by 9" tall. The large frame measures about 15-1/2" wide by about 17-1/2" tall by 2-3/4" deep. There is one spot on the frame that has chipped away--see Photo 4. The ornate portions of the frame are built up with resin (antique frames would have used gesso) and there is one spot where the gold foil has rubbed away (see Photo 5).
A beautiful study of flowers.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
Victorian & French Cottage Decor: http://bit.ly/2WW7aJI
All Items: https://romaarellano.com
1-2 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. and any order of $100 or more will be insured via third party insurance In cases where third party insurer requires Signature, we will add it to the package.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within 14 days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
We can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment up to two months for full payment.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.