This heavy vintage Weeping Buddha statue is carved of hardwood that shows beautiful warm tones in the grain. The sculpture is organic in nature, with rounded edges and curves, the near naked monk huddled into a tight ball, hands covering face, and so we see his fingers at his brow but never his eyes or other facial features. Protruding at the top of the sculpture is the joint connecting spine to neck, and that it is this prominent speaks to just how much this monk has curled himself into a ball. We see more joints from the backbone going down to the back, and the tie at the back of the sash he would be wearing around his waist. We see his toes on either side toward the front. This sculpture is reproduced, even today, referring to the story of two warriors who faced down one another during several battles. Both used masks as part of their costumes; hence, they never saw one another's face. Eventually, the older warrior triumphed over the younger one, killing him. When the older warrior took off the mask from the warrior he had killed, he realized it was his long lost son. Seeing this, the older warrior began to weep. The Weeping Buddha statue is a symbol of grief and compassion. When one sees a Weeping Buddha somewhere, it's practice to rub the back of the sculpture in the belief that it will take away one's grief and troubles, bestowing in its place peace and strength. This sculpture was part of an estate that had several Buddhas, many large, and all from the 20th Century, most purchased in the 1970s through 1990s. I love how the sculptor of this statue used the grain of the wood and differing hues in the design. Notice the head of the Buddha, that halo of light wood that comprises the center of the head. Surely this was done by design. The piece is not super large but it is weighty. It will require a few extra days in preparing it for safe travel.
It's hard to get an exact measurement given the organic nature of the sculpture, but it is about 12" all the way around, give or take. It weighs 18.6 pounds unpacked, and with sufficient packing materials, it will weigh closer to 24 pounds. One finger has a small chip or spot where the wood has splintered away; it is lighter than the other fingers but can be touched up with darker wood oil. There is a crack in the front of the near the feet in what presumably are the knees; this is from the wood drying over time in the arid climate in which it's been for several decades.
A beautiful sculpture, a message of love.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For more saints and spirits: https://romaarellano.com/shop/17770597/saints-santos-spirit
For all hacienda decor: https://romaarellano.com/shop/6877927/hacienda-taos-mexico
And all items: https://romaarellano.com
3-5 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. and any order of $100 or more will be insured via third party insurance.
• Any package valued at $250 or more will require Signature upon delivery. Third Party insurer requires Signature in certain cases, so please do not ask that we ship without Signature as this creates a risk we are not willing to take.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within 14 days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
We can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment up to two months for full payment.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.