Not a lot is known about Native American silversmith Dan Nieto yet his jewelry tells us that he was master at incorporating figural imagery into one-of-a-kind contemporary designs. Just as this circa 1990s cuff bracelet and matching ring show, Dan Nieto often featured a beautiful indigenous person--presumably a woman--into his silverwork. My research indicates he was most likely Tewa or Santo Domingo--and indeed, "Nieto" is a surname for many Santo Domingo Pueblo jewelry makers--and Zuni. I've also seen jewelry of his for sale indicating it is Navajo, but the sources in which I have most confidence indicate Tewa/Zuni. There are no biographies that I can find, which surprises me given just how unique and high-quality his works are. This cuff bracelet is an excellent example of quality, from the selection of a gorgeous blue-green turquoise stone with pyrite inclusions, to the heavy traditional silverwork in the shank then rendered completely contemporary with those applique figures on each side. The ring repeats the design--it features turquoise from the same mine replete with pyrite inclusions, in a traditional setting, and then that bold female figure rises up from the bezel and frame to create a striking and unusual finished product. The ring and cuff came from the estate of a woman who owned a jewelry shop in Albuquerque's Old Town in the 1990s through early 2000s. The pieces were already vintage when she had them, and she continued to wear them as she had a small wrist size, and this was one of the few substantial cuffs that fit. Consequently, the silver does have some small scratches from wear and age. The back of each piece carries the artist's hallmark along with a sterling stamp.
Measurements and weight for each are:
- Ring: Size 6.75, ring face measures about 3/4" wide by about 2-1/2" tall. Weighs 26g.
- Cuff: Measures about 1-3/4" from top to bottom of the stone's setting and closer to 1-3/8" top to bottom across the silver shank, and taking a soft tape measure around the interior, it is about 5-1/8" long plus a 1" gap, for a total length of 6-1/8". Cuff weighs a substantial 103g.
One-of-a-kind Southwestern jewelry!
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For More Native American Bracelets and Watches: https://etsy.me/2pFfdd1
Native American Earrings: http://etsy.me/2BPa5dG
Native American Rings: http://etsy.me/2ERUBZh
Native Necklaces, Pendants, and Pins: http://etsy.me/2CijkUR
Native Belts and Bolos: http://etsy.me/2EQCz9F
All items: https://www.etsy.com/shop/romaarellano
1-2 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. and any order of $100 or more will be insured via third party insurance In cases where third party insurer requires Signature, we will add it to the package.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within 14 days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
We can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment up to two months for full payment.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.