This gorgeous and colorful vintage necklace is unsigned yet in the unmistakable style of Kewa Pueblo (Santo Domingo) award-winning artist Mary Tafoya. The pendant is flush inlay of multiple stones and shells onto a foundation of deep green serpentine, with a beaded necklace light green serpentine disc heishi interspersed with barrel shaped beads possibly made with Fish Rock, which is a form of serpentine. The pendant features stripes of turquoise, lapis lazuli, pipestone, black onyx, and others. From a website about Tafoya: "Mary is one of eleven children born to talented jewelry artists, Frank and Anita Coriz. As a young girl, Mary helped her family string what is called “Depression era” Santo Domingo pieces. Lacking the access to more natural materials to craft jewelry, jewelry makers would search for bits and pieces of battery cases, dishes, toothbrushes, phonograph records, and fashionably recycle them into traditional looking pieces. From this grew Mary’s contemporary style. Mary only works her craft if she feels happy. Each of her pieces is like a snowflake--one of a kind. She begins by sitting at her desk in her cheerful studio she shares with silversmith husband, Lorenzo. Mary creates her mosaic jewelry using vibrant contrasting colors of her natural materials. Her cozy workspace contains buckets and piles of shell and stone waiting to be reborn into her whimsical, colorful jewelry. Mary’s award winning and highly desired work is featured in many galleries and museums throughout the U.S." Again, the pendant is unsigned and likely an early piece of hers, as it is also much heavier than her more recent pieces. It's not unusual for early pieces of an artist to be unsigned, nor is it unheard of for pieces to be heftier. Prices of stones have gone up over the decades, and often artists will make lighter pieces that are more affordable. Another sign that it's not a recent piece is that there is wear on the pendant including a small divot in the stripe of dark blue lapis, plus some scuffing along the edge. Note that there is one white spot in the dark moss green stripe at the bottom, which looks in the photos like a scuff of flaw, but that is actually a color variation in the stone.
The necklace measures about 22" long, and the pendant is 1-7/8" wide by about 2-1/8" long. Weighs 91g. Again, some wear on the pendant but otherwise in great condition.
A vibrant and colorful piece to make you happy for wearing it, and to make others happy for seeing it!
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For More Native Necklaces, Pendants, and Pins: http://bit.ly/2ESs4Tf
Native American Earrings: http://bit.ly/2FyZ8wy
Native American Rings: http://bit.ly/2HQXwyY
Native Bracelets and Watches: https://bit.ly/2NpeypL
Native Belts and Bolos: http://bit.ly/2oz2XKp
All items: https://romaarellano.com
1 business day
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 2 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. and any order of $100 or more will be insured via third party insurance In cases where third party insurer requires Signature, we will add it to the package.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within 14 days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
We can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment up to two months for full payment.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.