This wood carving of a dog was made by Mexican master Manuel Jiménez Ramírez (1919-2005) who is credited as the originator of this genre of folk art in Arrazola, the town now known for its whimsical alebrijes. He was best known for his animals, but also angels and saints--all bold in shape and painting style. Jiménez was born in San Antonio Arrazola, Oaxaca, and began making animal figures from clay when he was eight, then switched to wood. He had a charismatic presence, was deeply philosophical and spiritual and was nicknamed "el divino," or "the divine one." Some of those in his town considered him to be a "nahual," which is a mythical creature. He was also known to be a "curandero," or healer. His sons Angélico and Isaías continue his carving tradition in the family compound, and there are many pieces signed by father and sons, but this particular piece is signed only by the master himself. The dog came from the estate of a family that lived and traveled throughout Latin America, collected folk art from the region, and bought the piece in a gallery in Seattle in the 1980s, then for quite a hefty sum then. Today, large works by Jiménez and sons sell for in the thousands. This piece is what I consider medium in size, and very special as it is by the patriarch, not to mention red in color--which in many cultures has meanings associated with luck and prosperity.
The protruding tail of the dog gives it extra height and length, so I'll give measurements of the main body and the body plus tail. The dog is about 9" long from nose to butt, and closer to 13" long to the tip of the tail. Measures about 7" tall to the top of the back and closer to 12" tall to top of tail. Measures about 2-3/4" deep. Weighs just over 11 ounces. In excellent vintage condition, with no scuffs nor flakes nor chips in the wood.
Collectible folk art for the person who loves this most loyal of creatures!
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
See my other vintage folk art here: http://bit.ly/2sz6qJX
And see all the items in my shop here: https://romaarellano
3-5 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 2 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. and any order of $100 or more will be insured via third party insurance In cases where third party insurer requires Signature, we will add it to the package.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within 14 days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
We can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment up to two months for full payment.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.