This horsehair pottery sculpture has an exquisite satin finish. It represents the combination of poured mold ceramics with one-of-a-kind Navajo firing and glaze. The piece started its life as an offering by a company called Sittre Products, which produced poured mold forms during the 1970s and 80s. This was a heyday for artisan markets and a resurgence of bold figural trends in home decor. This particular mold was substantial and featured the profile of an exotic Native American looking woman with long hair; Sittre called it "Stargazer" and described it as "Art Deco" style. The blank mold was then fired and glazed by Navajo Matt Vail, who came from a family known for horse hair firing and glaze. Before I talk about horse hair pottery, just know that this vintage Stargazer mold can and will be found finished in a variety of ways--some painted, others glazed. This particular Stargazer is unique and I would argue is one of the most beautiful to be found. Not only is the horse hair glaze magical; the finish adds a thick satiny roundness to the mold form. Some describe horse hair firing as contemporary yet the Navajo have been firing with horse hair for centuries. It is said that horse hair firing was accidentally discovered when a Pueblo potter's long hair blew onto and instantly carbonized into a piece she was removing from the hot kiln. Fascinated, she tried to replicate the technique with straw and pine needles, and finally, horse hair. The Vail family has specialized in this firing, and their pieces are among the most collectible on the market. This piece was made in the 1980s, and it has the Sittre Products imprint at the base rim of the mold. But the glaze is completely unique to the artist--indeed, horse hair firing will never come out exact--who has signed the bottom. There are some condition issues, specifically scuffs along edges. But given the uneven nature of the glaze, these blend in, and especially with a bit of extra care in polishing and touching up, they will be minimized before sending.
The piece is heavy and large. It measures about 15" tall at the tallest point by about 6" across and 7" deep. Weighs 4.10 pounds. Again, quite a few scuff marks, which I have photographed. I will do a final polish to minimize those to the best degree possible, and the piece will be super well packed for shipping. No cracks nor large chips, although there is a mold air bubble "hole" in the base.
The stargazer--a timeless figure, perfect for today!
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
Native American Arts & Crafts: https://romaarellano.com/shop/22631891/native-arts-crafts
And all items in shop: https://romaarellano.com
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 2 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. and any order of $100 or more will be insured via third party insurance In cases where third party insurer requires Signature, we will add it to the package.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within 14 days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
We can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment up to two months for full payment.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.