This layered five-strand bird fetish necklace came to me from the estate of a Midwestern woman--she would have been 102 if alive today--who sold and collected Native American jewelry, and we estimate the piece to be from the late 1980s to early 1990s. The necklace consists of 127 carved birds, the types of which vary from long and slender to short and small. The necklace has cascading strands, achieved by making each strand slightly shorter than the one next to it, so that when worn the necklace lays in elegant layers. The shortest strand has 20 fetishes, the next one 22, the next 24, the next 29, and the last 32. This is an heirloom piece, not only because it is carved from coral--and today you would be hard pressed to find any Native American working in coral fetish necklaces--but also when you consider the skill and time that went into carving each bird, as well as in making the coral heishi beads strung between the birds. Everything about this necklace is masterful and unusual. I cannot confirm the artist--Lavinia Tsikewa made a multi-strand coral fetish necklace featured in Oscar Branson's book Fetishes and Carvings from the Southwest, and more recently Rosita Kaamasee and her niece are both known for carving coral fetish necklaces. I've sold pieces from Rosita and from Tsikewa's father and sister. We can't confirm either artist, but we do know based on information provided by the previous owner's daughter that this cascading necklace is Zuni made.
The necklace has five strands graduated in length, the shortest is 25" long from clasp to clasp, with the longest closer to 32" long taking a tape measure along the entire length. When worn, the layers have a hang length of about 9" for the shortest and 14" for the longest, accounting for the curve of the neck. The bird carvings are not graduated in size although they do vary in size, being between about 1/2" to 1" wide. I looked closely at all the fetishes--some of the birds are quite small and at first glance may seem to have a tip broken--but they are in fact just small with tail and beak intact. That said, even though I did not notice any missing tips, there may be one or two missing, although if so they blend in versus standing out. Total weight is 91g.
For the person looking for one-of-a-kind Zuni fetishes and jewelry.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For More Native Necklaces, Pendants, and Pins: http://bit.ly/2ESs4Tf
Native American Earrings: http://bit.ly/2FyZ8wy
Native American Rings: http://bit.ly/2HQXwyY
Native Bracelets and Watches: https://bit.ly/2NpeypL
Native Belts and Bolos: http://bit.ly/2oz2XKp
All items: https://romaarellano.com
1-2 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. and any order of $100 or more will be insured via third party insurance In cases where third party insurer requires Signature, we will add it to the package.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within 14 days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
We can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment up to two months for full payment.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.