This vintage bib necklace is magnificent, one of those pieces that is so much better in person than photos can convey. It was made by the Naga people of Northeast India and Northwest Burma, in the village of Konyak Wakching. It was purchased in the 1960s although it could be older, and the beads possibly antique. Ten strands all strung on thread are connected by carved bone or horn spacers, and small metal bells dangle off the outer strand. The strands emerge at the ends and the piece closes with a carved bone or horn button, characteristic of Naga jewelry. It is one of the most superb examples of an older Naga bib that I've seen. The piece came to me from a collector and former museum curator, now in his late 70s, who began collecting ethnographic jewelry and art when he was in his early 20s. While he acquired the piece in the 1960s, it's actual age is unknown, and as he says, it is not the age of Naga jewelry but the material that makes it valuable. And indeed, what stands out about this necklace is the brilliant combinations of orange, blue, and yellow, and, literally, the brilliancy of the beads. These bib necklaces are still made today but the difference is that new ones are often made of brightly colored plastic beads. These glass beads have "patina" which includes darkening on edges from age and wear. My friend wore this frequently in the 50 years that he owned it, and when he wasn't wearing it he would hang it as art on a narrow slice of wall. Authentic older Naga necklaces of this quality reach upwards of $8,000-$10,000 in value.
For insight into the Naga culture and adornment, please check out this blog post: https://chambersarchitects.com/blog/art-design-vanishing-cultures-historical-preservation-part-three/
The necklace is about 26" from tip to tip, and the hang length is about 13-15" depending on the width of one's neck. Weighs 314g. Some fraying of the threads at the ends.
Vanishing art of vanishing peoples.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For other tribal jewelry: https://bit.ly/2CUpcFS
For Native American jewelry: http://bit.ly/2ESs4Tf
And all items in shop: https://romaarellano.com
3-5 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. and any order of $100 or more will be insured via third party insurance.
• Any package valued at $250 or more will require Signature upon delivery. Third Party insurer requires Signature in certain cases, so please do not ask that we ship without Signature as this creates a risk we are not willing to take.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within 14 days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
We can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment up to two months for full payment.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.