These sterling silver earrings are shaped like miniature pitchers, truly unique for their realistic appearance--albeit in tiny size--to a ewer style vase or pitcher. But what is even more amazing is that they are William Spratlings (1900-1967), the famous artist and silversmith who worked in Mexico after the Revolution, revitalizing traditional silverwork and influencing new, modernist designs. Based on Spratling's hallmark, we know these were made between 1940 and 1946, which was the latter part of Spratling's "First Design Period." The hallmark appears on the round flat section of the screwback that rests behind the ear, the surface of which was too small for the entire hallmark, but we can still see it is the hallmark where Spratling went from using initials only to adding a circle around the initials with his name spelled out and the words "Made in Mexico." (His spelled out name was cut off due to the size of the surface.) The earrings are rare, and I do not use that adjective lightly. When we think of Spratling, we think of modernist designs versus this realistic and traditional form--a miniature water pitcher. Yet, Spratling was a prolific artist and creative entrepreneur who also made utilitarian objects for the home, including serving utensils, pitchers, vessels, and trays. So, of course, shrinking those life-size items into miniatures would have been a natural thing for Spratling to do. For example, I did come across a Spratling brooch that featured a miniature flower pot and within it a spray of amethyst "flowers." These earrings are especially wonderful examples of Spratling's work, as they represent his whole talent as an artist and his whole vision as maker, not to mention the utilitarian symbolism of the pitcher in a post-revolutionary Mexico, as something that nurtures, refreshes, and fills us.
The earrings measure 1" long not including the screwback, with a drop length of 1-1/2". They have a lovely patina, and I will leave it to the next owner to decide whether or not to polish them.
An amazing and rare treat for the William Spratling collector, or for the Aquarius or person who reveres water.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For all Frida inspired jewelry: https://www.etsy.com/shop/romaarellano?section_id=17770579
/> For Native American Earrings: http://etsy.me/2BPa5dG
/> And all items in shop: http://etsy.com/shop/romaarellano
1 business day
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you reside in certain territories, including the EU, you have a number of rights in relation to your personal information. While some of these rights apply generally, certain rights apply only in certain limited cases:
• You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you by contacting this shop using our contact information.
• You may also have rights to change, restrict our use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where we are required to store data for legal reasons) we will generally delete your personal information upon request.
• You can object to (i) our processing of some of your information based on legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from this shop after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, we will delete your personal information unless there are compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
• If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about this shop's use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
How to Contact this Shop
For purposes of EU data protection law, we, Roma Arellano and Jim Ransom, as primary owners of this shop, are the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact us using the physical address of our vintage booth (above) or direct phone number (below).
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page @ romaarellano.com or follows us on Instagram @ roma.arellano. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our links. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.