I collect a lot of folk art from Mexico, and I especially love the masks from Guerrero made of coconut shells. Well, the mask offered in this listing pre-dates the coconut shell mask, having been made of light wood. Like the coconut masks, this one uses seed pods as decoration, yet this one is much older and more appealing to the true collector of Mexican folk art. The colors have faded over time, which makes it all the more beautiful, and they still reflect light and are incredibly vibrant. I photographed the piece at different times of day, and the colors are always warm and vivid, whether it's morning with some direct sunlight or evening at dusk. I estimate this to be made, based on wear and the fact that this pre-dates the more tourist-geared coconut mask, in circa 1940s to 50s.
This is not a large mask, at just over 7" tall by 5" wide. With the wooden corn-cob-like nose sticking out, the mask will extend to just over 4" from the wall where it is hung. A piece of twine has been added to the back--new twine, not original--for hanging. The piece is quite light, and there are spots along the edge in particular where the paint has rubbed or chipped away. The seed pods and husk and wood nose are all well seated, and the piece is in good condition.
Whimsical, delightful, collectible.
See my other vintage folk art here: http://bit.ly/2sz6qJX
And see all the items in my shop here: https://romaarellano
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our Facebook link. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.