Here we have a beautiful miniature painted portrait of Saint Fabiola--or girl in red scarf--set into an 800 silver bezel with glass, and with both clasp to wear as a brooch and eye hook for pendant. Fabiola was a 14th-century Roman aristocrat who divorced her first husband then upon the death of her second converted to Christianity and became a steward of the poor. Centuries later, after an 1885 portrait of her by French artist Jean-Jacques Henner was lost, reproductions of that portrait became popular, transforming St. Fabiola into a "19th-century marketing figure for Christianity on postcards and religious memorabilia." The image is always the same: Fabiola’s profile faces the left with her head covered by a red veil. Belgian artist Francis Alÿs began collecting paintings of Saint Fabiola in 1992, after he found her portrait at a flea market in Mexico City. He continued to scour flea markets hoping he might find a more famous painting yet he kept coming across this same depiction of Fabiola. According to Curator Toby Kamps of the Menil Collection in Houston, which is holding an exhibition called the Fabiola Project, "It was once the best selling postcard at the Louvre and was very widely disseminated. For whatever reason, Fabiola caught on as a favorite for amateur painters.” And so here we have yet another girl in red scarf, beautifully rendered and signed, and the silver stamps on the back of the bezel tell us it is Italian, circa 1934-1944 (by 1944 the Italian government had required the 800 to be enclosed in an oval).
Measures 1" wide by about 1-1/2" tall not including the small link attached to the eye hook. The silver has a lovely patina. Glass is intact. Overall in great vintage condition.
Patron Saint to Abused Women--a saint that speaks to us as much today as she did in the past.
For more saints and spirits: https://romaarellano.com/shop/17770597/saints-santos-spirit
And all items: https://romaarellano.com
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our Facebook link. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.