I've put together this framed painting, and there is a story behind it. In the late 80s and early 90s I worked in a Latin American Institute at a university and traveled throughout the region. While on a trip to Peru, I bought a beautiful little oil painting on canvas--the one here--inside of an equally gorgeous and quite ornate wood frame. The piece sat with my "retablo" collection for years. Well, as I've been selling off bits of my personal collection, I decided to take the Madonna and Child in wood frame to my brick and mortar store and hang it on a wall. One of the problems with having an item in a store is there's always a chance it might get damaged, and sure enough, the framed painting was dropped, the wood frame cracked and broken, and a wee bit of scuffing on the canvas. So, I brought it home, quite sad, and it sat for a while as I tried to figure out if the frame was salvageable. Then, lo and behold, I came across the most delightful old tin frame, the opening slightly small for the painting yet the effect just stunning. The old frame, and we know it's old because the front is quite faded from time (you can see the original color of pink on the back) had two small holes at the top. It is Mexican, and the holes potentially could have held wire for hanging, but I like to think they were there to hold devotional charms--milagros. So I added in two--an eye and a leg. And then I slipped the Peruvian painting into the frame. So this neither Peruvian nor Mexican. It is Latin American, and reflects the beauty of Hispano Catholic art. So if you're a purist and want to own a Cuzco painting within a Peruvian frame, this is the note the piece for you. Likewise, if you had hoped for a tin frame with milagros and Virgen de Guadalupe--who this saint pictured is not--then again, the piece is not for you. But if you love beauty and revere the way in which it manifests in our culture and our art, and you love the magic that can happen when you mix it up, then yeah, this is your piece.
The oil painting on canvas is about 4" wide by about 5-1/2" long, although the opening of the frame is only 3-1/8" by 4-3/4" so some of the painting is hidden behind the metal. Total frame size is about 8-1/2" wide at the widest point and about 10-1/4" long at the longest point. Stand in back. No wire for hanging.
From me to you, with love.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For more saints and spirits: https://romaarellano.com/shop/17770597/saints-santos-spirit
And all items: https://romaarellano.com
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our Facebook link. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.