Among the world of HOMCO or Syroco style wall hangings, there are a few that stand out for being especially striking, and while kitschy they are fabulous examples of how these companies brought fashionable yet affordable home decor to the middle classes through the use of new plastics materials. Case in point, this gorgeous midcentury wall hanging that is also a three-arm candelabra sconce. It's made by Burwood Products Company, which patented a type of material, aptly called "burwood," that was a composite of wood and plastic and could be injection molded. I was drawn to the design of this piece, which I--being of Spanish descent--initially thought was a pomegranate. (Pomegranate = Granada in Spanish.) Upon further research, I realized this was actually designed to resemble folk art of the Pennsylvania Dutch, with the stylized tulip and graphic colors and scheme. I've looked at a lot of Burwood products, and I have to say, this is truly the best looking one I've seen. Of course, I am biased, as my family in 1969 moved into a brand new ranch style home with this EXACT color scheme: orange, golden yellow, and olive green. So yeah, I could see this piece showcased in our orange-shag-carpeted and orange velvet damask wallpapered dining room (literally, a room just for dining, with a pass-through window into the kitchen).
The wall hanging-slash-candelabra-sconce measures 18-1/2" across by 16-3/4" tall. The three-armed candelabra extends out about 5" from the wall hanging. Back has metal zag hanger, which you may want to reinforce if you actually plan to use candles. In very good vintage condition.
Because we normal folk had moments of design brilliance, too.
And see all the items in my shop here:
1-2 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our Facebook link. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.