A beautiful Acoma canteen, about 5" in diameter, with stylized parrot design. You can see the hand coiling and hand burnishing on this piece when looking at it from certain angles. The piece is unsigned, and the age unknown although we know that it is at least from the 1970s but could be older. (Acoma artists began signing their pieces in the 1950s, but even then many did not sign.)
About the parrot: According to Acoma origin stories, when the world was created, the creator's daughter, Iatiku, instructed the tribe to search for a place called Ha'aka (present day Sky City). She gave them two eggs, one a dull color and the other bright blue, telling them one was a parrot, and the other a crow. They should break open the parrot egg, she said, when they reached Ha'aka. After generations of traveling, the Acoma found Ha'aka. Assuming the blue egg contained parrots, the majority of the tribe chose to remain at Ha'aka and cracked open the egg. Imagine their surprise when crows flew out. The remainder of the group took the dull egg and traveled south--some say to Mexico--and settled. To this day, parrots remain an elusive but important symbol to Acoma people. They paint parrots on their pottery to remember the day they lost the parrot egg.
The Acoma associate brightly-colored parrots with rainbows, and thus with rain. Some also see parrots as spirit messengers who bring sun and rain to the dry Pueblo. Dancers use parrot feathers on their outfits during ceremonies, especially those requesting rain and healthy crops. It makes sense, then, that artists would also paint parrots on water jars.
The pot has some smudging along the neck and sides, as well as the bottom. Otherwise, it is in very good vintage condition, with no cracks or chips.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
Visit our Native American section here: http://etsy.me/2i6eFIO
And all items in our shop here: http://etsy.me/2i6kcyY
1-3 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Request a cancellation within: 12 hours of purchase
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
I will only use your shipping and billing address, and contact information
• We do ship worldwide. Click on the Shipping & Policies tab and enter your zip or postal code into the box to get the shipping cost.
• We generally ship your package 1-3 days after receiving payment, and we use USPS for all items. Occasionally, due to travel, we will take between 5-7 days to get your item to the post office. We will always let you know if that's the case, and you will always have the option to cancel if you need your item sooner.
• We insure items of $50 or more, and for any item costing over $200, we also add signature confirmation wherever it is available.
• Buy with confidence--we accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within two weeks of delivery. Return shipping is at your expense, and the item must be returned in the same condition in which received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim to our post office. Etsy and PayPal require that the item be returned before we can issue a refund.
• Since returning an item is no fun for either of us, we encourage you to contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
• We are happy to work with you on a payment plan if that will help you to purchase an item you otherwise would not be able to buy at this time. We generally do 30-day plans of two payments, but for more expensive items we can do a 60- or 90-day plan. Please convo me to talk about how we can set this up for you.
I do offer a 10% discount to any buyer who likes our Facebook page. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on our Facebook link. Convo me and let me know so that I can send you the coupon code.