This vintage Native American cuff bracelet is an outstanding example of old style Native American silverwork, authentic with every step done by hand. This is the way early Native American artists created their jewelry, and what is perhaps the most surprising thing about the bracelet is that it was not made in the early 1900s but rather sometime during the second half of the 20th Century. The reason is looks much older is that it was made by Acoma/Laguna artist Greg Lewis, one of the few contemporary silversmiths to revive the lost art of tool making and the methods used to produce Native American jewelry during the turn of the century. Lewis was born and raised in California, and in 1979 he moved to Paguate, a small village on the Laguna Pueblo Reservation where his grandmother and father had been born. Lewis started his silversmithing journey at the age of 15, having learned the art from his paternal grandfather, Alvin Concho Lewis of Acoma, who in turn had learned his techniques from an uncle. Grandfather Lewis had been a ship builder in the 1940s and brought his knowledge of metalwork to his craft, making all his own stamps, pounding tables, anvils, and tools and dies for repousse work. He used these tools to make jewelry for 60 years before retiring in 1982. Greg Lewis continued his grandfather's ways, his repousse work starting with flat sheets ranging from 12 to 30 gauge thickness, and the use of all handmade tools. The work is hard and requires great patience and skill. The only modern equipment used in the process is the torch and the buffing wheel. Of course, with this level of authenticity and quality, it is only natural that Lewis would use only high-grade untreated turquoise from mines in Nevada and Arizona, and that he would hand cut and set his own stones. There are many award-winning artists that have the years of experience that Lewis has, yet he is one of the few to preserve vanishing ways of jewelry making from start to finish. In Lewis's words, “I enjoy showing people my methods because they reflect the traditional ways my grandfather taught me. It is very important that these time-honored skills be kept in the family and passed onto future generations.”
The bracelet measures about 1-1/4" wide. Taking a soft tape measure along the interior, the bracelet is 5-3/4" long with a 1-1/4" gap, for a total interior length of 7". Weighs a hefty 86g. Carries Lewis's signature arrowhead hallmark. Has a gorgeous patina, and is in excellent vintage condition with the turquoise stone well seated in the handmade bezel.
A collectible piece from a vanishing breed of artist.
Please convo with questions, or call (505) 369-6865. Will return your call as soon as possible.
For More Native American Bracelets and Watches: https://bit.ly/2NpeypL
Native American Earrings: http://bit.ly/2FyZ8wy
Native American Rings: http://bit.ly/2HQXwyY
Native Necklaces, Pendants, and Pins: http://bit.ly/2ESs4Tf
Native Belts and Bolos: http://bit.ly/2oz2XKp
And all items in our shop here: http://romaarellano.com
1-2 business days
I'll do my best to meet these shipping estimates, but can't guarantee them. Actual delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose.
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.
Etsy or PayPal, depending on which you use, administers payments, and therefore protects your financial per their respective privacy policies. This shop does not have access to credit card or bank details.
Information Collected by this Shop
To fulfill your order, you provide information through Etsy, such as name, email address, postal address, payment information, and details of the product ordered. You may also choose to provide additional personal information regarding the order if you contact the shop directly.
This shop collects, uses, and shares your information for specific tasks such as:
• providing services to fulfill your order, to settle disputes should any occur, and provide customer support;
• when you have provided consent, which you may revoke at any time, by signing up for a mailing list or request detail of future product availability;
• to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Information about this shop's customers is necessary to our business. Personal information is used for specific and limited reasons and circumstances, as follows:
• If we sell or merge this business, we may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
• We may collect, use, retain, and share your information if we have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of our customers, or others.
If you have any questions regarding data privacy, please contact the shop owner via the built-in messaging system. Thank you.
• We ship to many parts of the world. On any listing, enter your zip or postal code into the Shipping box to find out if your country is included and how much it will cost. If you find we do not ship to your country, contact us to find out if we might be able to.
• We ship within 1-3 days of order via USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. and any order of $100 or more will be insured via third party insurance In cases where third party insurer requires Signature, we will add it to the package.
• We accept returns. Per our policies, contact us within 14 days of delivery. Return shipping with insurance and tracking is at your expense. We process refunds once the item is returned in the same condition received.
• If your item arrives damaged, photograph it with packaging so we may make a claim.
• Returning an item is no fun; contact us before buying to ask questions or request additional photos. I'd rather talk you out of something vs your being disappointed with a purchase!
• Our top priority is your positive experience with this shop, and our greatest hope is that you LOVE the item purchased!
We can work with you on a payment plan with immediate down payment up to two months for full payment.
Note that layaways past due over 30 days go into default. Once in default the transaction is cancelled and layaway payments are not returnable due to having removed items from the market and losing potential sales.
Convo to talk about a layaway plan that works for your budget.
Please, no offers. We receive so much correspondence daily that we are unable to respond to offer requests.
We have loyal customers who return again and again and use the repeat customer discount coupon for 10% off. We set fair prices from the get-go. If something is expensive, you know it's good.
We do run sales occasionally, so watch for those. And we value community. Whether you are a returning customer, Facebook friend, or Instagram follower--our thanks to you is 10% off for supporting this shop. Please go to the About section of the main shop page and click on the social media links. Follow us on one of those platforms, convo to say you've done so and we'll send you the coupon code for 10% off.
We do NOT do reserves or holds. Like any business, we use sales proceeds to keep the shop running. We truly can't afford to take items off the market. But even if you have some funds with which to make a down payment, we can do layaway with you. Just convo to say you'd like to do a layaway, and we'll work with you on that route instead of a Hold or Reserve.
We get correspondance almost daily asking how much certain items are worth or what the price was of items that have sold, and we can no longer respond to these messages.